Sunday 1 May 2011

Worldwide visitors flock to the wedding

People from across the globe descended on London on Friday to witness the pomp and ceremony of the Royal Wedding.


Our reporter Maria Soleil was there to venture into the crowds and find out where people had travelled from.
Kara and her daughter from Australia
Kara from Australia had been on The Mall since 3am on Friday morning. She booked a flight to come to London six months ago and was lucky that she happened to be in the city on the day of the wedding.



"It is the most unbelievable day of my life, I will remember it til I die. I've bought the scarf and everything! I’m looking forward to when they come out on the balcony. My mum’s taped everything, so when I get home to Australia I get to watch it with my mum and I can say I was there. It is a once in a lifetime thing, and to come from the other side of the world. I remember when I was five, it was the first time I was ever allowed to stay up late, to see Charles and Diana get married.”


Carmel Goulden from Vancouver, British Colombia, was stood on The Mall draped in the maple leaf flag of Canada. She said:
"This is absolutely fantastic, we flew over here on Easter Sunday so we got the very last day of your fabulous weather. This is the weather we were expecting anyway and it doesn’t really matter. We came just for this, as soon as this was announced we got on the phone and booked our BA flight and we booked our hotel. That was very smart because the rooms now cost triple the amount, and there’s none  left anyway. We leave tomorrow. We just came for the wedding and then we’re out of here. I love the excitement and the people but to tell you the truth I want the kiss on the balcony. I don’t really care about the dress, she’s going to be gorgeous anyway, it doesn’t matter. “
Anna, a flight attendant from Georgia, America, got to Buckingham Palace at 6.30am. Click below to listen to the audio of our conversation: 


Anna from Georgia by mariasoleil


Margaret and Jane from Sydney are huge fans of the royal family and flew over to Britain especially to see William and Kate tie the knot.
 
Jane and Margaret from Sydney

Margaret said: "We love the royals, she's been our Queen for 60 years and I think that's great. I think Charles will make a great King and William will be King to my grandkids and I really like the idea of that."
Jane added: "We've had two referendums and I'm delighted Australia still has the royal family."
New Yorker Mary and her husband were on the way to Italy for a holiday and decided to stop off two days early in London.
"We are so far back we can't see anything, but it's a great day, it's fun. The main event is the balcony, everyone’s taping it at home. I’m glad it didn’t rain. We got here about 6 this morning! We’ve been meeting so many people, I was talking to someone from the Philippines and then there was a lady from Canada, it's so fun, it's so international. We may decide to come back for the Jubilee next year!”
Inessa from Volgograd, Russia told us:
“Five months ago I made a reservation for a hotel here; I really wanted to see it. It’s hard to see though because it’s really very crowded. It’s very perfect, I love London. I think William and Kate make a really good pair. And she will make a really good Queen. I only came for the wedding.”
It wasn't just tourists on the streets of the capital. Listen to our chat with Frasier, a student from London, below:


Frasier from London by mariasoleil


Were you in London on the day of the wedding? Do you know anyone that was? Perhaps you travelled from abroad. Leave your comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment